Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Things About Living Abroad...

I just saw this on Facebook and wanted to share and comment. It's very true, what's written, and one of the most frustrating things I find in being an expat and living away from home, is my ability to discuss my experiences with my loved ones at home. Many of them can't relate. Many of them just don't care. Some of them even think that my stories are only being told to make them jealous. So, what ends up happening is that I just revert back to my 21 year old self and fit right in like I never left. Don't get me wrong, part of this is amazing - I love having this relationship with my friends and family where I feel time hasn't changed us...but part of it's a lie as I've grown so much, I've experienced the world and I can't share these experiences with them. So, I keep them bottled up. This is part of the reason why I started a blog but as I haven't had many of these life-changing experiences recently, I've not been so active. So, for all those of you out there who have a loved one living abroad, take a second to ask them something about their life abroad. I know you appreciate them and you probably even admire them for the courage they have to make such a big leap across the pond or the planet, but think about the day-to-day things they're faced with and don't forget to drop them a line to let them know you're thinking of them...since they're probably always thinking about you! :)

http://thoughtcatalog.com/rachel-rae/2013/11/10-things-about-living-abroad-no-turning-back/#Cb4S9IzD0P2Mls6p.01

1 comment:

Anna said...

I'm hearing you Melinda! I've found the hardest thing about moving back 'home' is not being able to share the expat experience with anyone. No one 'gets' it or wants to hear me indulge in sharing memories from China or Canada. Perhaps the only solution is to move back overseas?!