Monday, November 4, 2013

I love Halloween!

Halloween rocks! I always loved it growing up because I always got to celebrate - big time! :)

My friend's birthday was on Halloween so we often celebrated with a Halloween theme one or two days before the main event which involves trick-or-treating with pillowcases and coming back with two full of candy and treats. Sidebar: I'm realizing this isn't PE teacher-ish at all to talk about copious amounts of treats, but when your parents control/limit your intake, it's okay...it's Halloween! :P


This wasn't Halloween but a kid's parade during the Pictou Lobster Carnival...I no doubt rocked this space girl as a Halloween costume at one point though! :)
As debatable as the candy bit is, Halloween is a cultural celebration in North America. In Nova Scotia, I loved my traditions of carving pumpkins, having Halloween parties at school and just getting to show people how awesome (or ridiculous) your costume might be, even with a giant snowsuit on underneath it! As I got older, my love for this crazy celebration grew stronger. I often babysat and then eventually worked at the store owned by the family that I babysat to make a little cash throughout middle and high school. I would save money from these two jobs and when Halloween stock hit the shelves, I'd buy an array of decorations - pumpkin lights, black lights, garbage bags to make the basement all black, scary music (cassette tapes), these awesome, flickering green skeleton lights...so much awesome Halloween paraphernalia! I decked out my parents basement to try and give trick-or-treaters a fun, and maybe a little scary, experience...who doesn't love a scare?! I also planned a few Halloween parties back in the day and at previous schools and I have to say, I'm a big fan of the haunted house business! :)

Now, the only thing that I really get to do as an adult living a foreign country that doesn't really celebrate Halloween, is to dress up and go out and find other people in the same position - you can usually find them as they're dressed up! The following video showcases my best Halloween costume result ever...I still marvel at how great it is...and my sick dance moves! I LOVE HALLOWEEN! :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=96346580286

Same costume as in the video...the school was all decked out in decorations as well, there's a shop called "Halloween" in Korea and was I ever pumped to find it. I'm sure I also spent a chunk of my pay there as well! :P

Last year's idea...and my friend Toya was a Ghostbuster. I'm not usually a fan of 'store-bought' costumes but this one looked great! :)

No comments: