Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Toonie Tuesday, Terrible Tuesday, Bachelor Tuesday!

If you would have asked me back in elementary or junior high school what my favourite day of the week is, I'd respond with Tuesday. Why? Well, partly to be different from the normal choices of Friday, Saturday and then Sunday but also because this was the day that my mom and her friend would make a trip to New Glasgow to do grocery shopping. I would return home from school to a freshly stocked fridge and cupboards...including Scotsburn chocolate milk (still the best I've EVER had) and Passion Flakies or Ah Caramel! cakes, which were of course special treats. Tuesday was also (maybe still is?) the day that new albums would be introduced in stores and I remember Tuesday NEARLY made a comeback as my favourite day in Grade 9 (...by high school, I was converted to being a weekend lover) when Britney Spears released her first album; I was a pretty big fan. Tuesday was the day you could go to KFC (the only fast food restaurant in my town) and get a Toonie Tuesday meal deal which had a piece of chicken, fries and a drink included in it and it would be the busiest parking lot in town. Now, KFC is closed down in my town and I'm not sure where people spend their toonies (a Canadian $2 coin) on a Tuesday in Pictou. In university, Tuesday was a great day for $2 cheap drinks at the campus bar but I never took advantage as much as I should have! Now, Tuesday has probably become my least favourite day of the week except for one bit of saving grace...The Bachelor!

Okay, so, it's an awful show. The idea of it, I have to admit, is also pretty horrible. But man, I can't deny that it makes for some pretty great brainless entertainment - especially in recent weeks when I've been cutting and pasting while watching! And now, it's all over! Sean, this season's Bachelor, (with his over-exposed, hot, beefy body and uber blonde hair) is no longer a bachelor! He's found "the love of his life" on national TV and he's even gone as far to declare that he and his new fiancĂ© will also get married on national TV. The road to love for Sean and his soon to be wife, Catherine, has been a trialing affair while Sean has made out with 20 other girls and really put himself out there in the name of love and I'm so elated that he can now no longer doubt his decision to be The Bachelor when saying something like, "It's been such a long journey of self discovery and I've finally realized that I could, might, just possibility be able to fall in love on TV." Along Sean's journey for love, viewers were treated to some feisty personalities on the show and some very lucky viewers even got a surprise visit from Sean himself as they were watching the show in their homes. REALLY?! It's all pretty ridiculous and probably reflects poorly on "Bachelor Nation" (yea, the fans have a name!)...but I love it. And what I also looked forward to right after watching the weekly episode, was a weekly recap on this guy's blog (which I highly recommend if you want a good laugh): http://www.rocket-shoes.com/  The Bachelor also made for some excellent lunch time discussions with some of my colleagues...hey, it's better than always talking about work though, right? :P

So, onto Wednesday tomorrow...! I don't know how I'll get through without any trash TV to look forward to next week...

No comments: