Sunday, March 10, 2013

In 5, 4, 3, 2...you know the rest!

After a thought provoking (and fun) weekend, I've decided that I need to take the advice of my peers and colleagues over the years to begin writing...a BLOG!
So, why you may ask if you're not someone who prompted me to do this? Well, for a number of reasons which I can state below:

1. I don't want to be one of THOSE people that always talks about "When I was in China/Korea/Australia/India/Germany..." that really annoys other people when they are always talking about themselves. I've been in situations and group conversations before where I felt these 'world travellers' dominated the discussion. This weekend, I found myself reflecting back on experiences from my travelling and living abroad but felt like I was starting to pipe in too much. I felt a blog would offer me a place where I could share these experiences AS they come up in my day-to-day life WITHOUT sacrificing anyone else's discussion air-time.

2. I don't have the opportunity to speak about my travel experiences very often, except for with my Facebook photo albums, and naturally, I'm wanting to share what I've learned/seen but don't always get to talk with someone about it right away. A blog can be my outlet for this.

3. I live by myself. Despite being engaged, I'm in Germany away from my love. We all know that solo living can be somewhat dull when there's no one to talk to...it also offers perks like being able to watch endless TV shows on my computer and taking a shower whenever I want without anyone caring. BUT there are days I wish I had someone...or an animal...to share my humble abode with. As my dad has proven over the years, communication with cats and dogs is completely legit...and I sometimes even wondered if he possessed a super power where animals could communicate back to him. He's had some really lengthy conversations with our beloved Freddie (still miss that cat) and now their big, loveable Buddy. BUT, being in a foreign country and not being home much, I've ultimately decided that the cat/dog would be more lonesome than me during the day. SO, again, a blog can be my pet...    And for the record, being able to communicate with animals (like actually understand what they're saying and being able to speak a language they understand) would be my dream super power. I have to credit @Rollie Babinec with the idea of this and that dates back to a high school conversation.

4. From a professional standpoint, and not to be entirely conceited, I think I come up with some great teaching ideas and just great ideas in general. While I'm not ready to go out and start an "Educational Blog", I still want to have an outlet to share the great things I've done without fishing for compliments from those I work with...well not ALL the time, anyways. I think, as an educator, it's valuable to share your views and get the views of others on something that worked well...or didn't work at all! So, I'll share some of the more standout school and teaching experiences I've had (or will have) on this blog.

So, since I've just justified why I'm starting a blog with four pretty solid reasons, I think I'm ready to do this...so...let's get this show on the road! :) Thanks in advance for your support and taking the time to read this!

I thought it best to include at least one photo in every blog post I've made. This is me taking a selfy...the only means of photography including photos of myself when travelling alone...which I tend to do quite often as well. I guess that'd be another reason to want to share travelling experiences since no one is actually with me to see and discuss what we're experiencing. Ljubljana, though, was a nice city, some long history in the castle from where this photo was taken BUT it's pretty much your standard European city with a river, cute bridges, cobblestone and those oh so Europeanesque houses and buildings. The rest of Slovenia, though, is a place I'd definitely be keen to explore! :)

No comments: