Sunday, January 26, 2014

When you have mono...!

The "kissing disease". That sickness that your friends got in high school and university and you teased them about incessantly because you bet they got it from making out...which I guess is better to the alternative of drinking out of an already slobbered on glass. In my time off school recovering from this sickness, I've been analyzing how I may have contracted this virus. Could it have been from...:
1. Making out. No. I've eliminated this as the cause for the virus, because, well, I have. It's not from kissing boys...as cool as that would be being a mere 10% of the human population that contracts this in their 30s. Woot!
2. Sharing drinks. Possibly. Not really sure. If it were closer to Oktoberfest, then I'd be more likely to zero in on this being the cause but hey, that was weeks and weeks ago!
3. Someone crying into my mouth. The virus is contracted through exchange of saliva or tears. I've ruled out saliva...and it's pretty safe to say no one has cried into my mouth in the past few weeks.
4. Kids slobbering on my PE whistle. The most likely of causes. My whistle hangs around my neck (it is impossible to teach 4-6 year olds without one!) and I've swatted away kids who've come to close all too often, but sometimes, my dear whistle ends up inside of a child's slobbery, blubbery, infectious mouth. These kids can be absolute germ magnets and I'm surprised I'm not sick more often with the amount of sick that passes through these kids, all the classes I teach and the amount that they touch me. This is probably the most likely cause so, if you're in your 30s, haven't had the virus, then put those whistles on lock down because it's a sure shot germ magnet with the amount of vying mouths that will attempt to wrap lips around it! Gross! *Note to self, change whistle when back at school!*



Now that I had determined where and who the likely culprits were to pass on this virus, I still had days to pass at home, alone, wishing I was at school.

The virus makes your pretty tired. Even the smallest tasks can take the most effort. If I walked around my house too much, I felt out of breath. I walked to the grocery store one day, and felt completely woozy and light headed when I got there. Strange as it's about a 250m walk. And I walked very slowly! That being said, sleep is the best cure to it all. After having the diagnosis for the virus for a week and three days, I feel a lot better with my 10 hour sleeps. Something that'll be hard to manage when I'm back to my normal schedule but I'll try to work it out. Sleep is very important! That being said, I'd go about doing something (anything) school related and feel completely exhausted after about an hour. Needless to say, I didn't get much done, aside from catching up on TV shows and reading a book that'll only take me another three months to finish at this rate. But, you gotta listen to your body.

I wanted to write a little list of things you can do, while you have mono, that won't take up too much of your limited energy stores:

1. Wake up sometime before the afternoon...but not too much before.
2. Drink lots and lots of water. Then be frustrated because you then have to walk to the bathroom to pee...but hey, it's good exercise.
3. Check your phone for What'sApp messages every 10 minutes. You know you don't have any, but check anyways because you can. Wonder why you don't have any? Start looking at all your previous chats and checking to see when the last time your friends were online. Oh wait, they're all working so it's been a while. Put your phone down, but not far, cause you'll need it again in 10 minutes.
4. Read 10 pages of a book...if you can get that far...then put it down because it's time for a nap.
5. Relocate from your bed to your sofa. It'll make you feel more productive. Maybe you'll even change from your pj pants to your comfiest joggers and hoody! Bold move, bold move!
6. Load up one of your favourite TV shows. Have you missed any recent episodes? Yes? Well, don't worry, you'll have lots of time to catch up. Have a nap midway through to make it last longer.
7. Eat soup. If you're as lucky as I was, you'll have friends/colleagues stop by and bring you yummy soup. Eat it. But not a lot and you won't want to but do it anyways. It's good for you despite your lack of appetite.
8. Eat dessert, which of course is a popsicle. Mmmmm, popsicles.
9. Facebook. All those videos and articles other people post on their walls that you never have time to check out...now you do! Check them ALL out. Then check out the ones on the sidebar too that catch your interest. Justin Bieber, man, you're breaking my heart. You've got it so good, why are you f***ing it all up? Come on dude!
10. Ponder life. You're pretty lucky to be here. And then smile cause you're happy.
11. So happy that you're going to have another nap to dream happy dreams.
12. Don't forget to take the meds you've been prescribed. Mmmmm, antibiotics and painkillers. This will, of course, not apply as you start to get better.
13. Think about all the things you could be doing, that you're not.
14. Check in with your mom. She's obviously worried sick. You don't feel that sick, you feel okay, but she thinks you're on your death bed so call her. NOW!
15. Well, it's almost bed time. An entire day gone. How'd that happen? Maybe you'll figure it out tomorrow when you sit around the house all day, alone, and go stir crazy.
16. Zzzzzzz

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should get an electric whistle like mine, I'll show you it when you get back to school. Rest up and get well soon.

Unknown said...

Ha! Thanks Mitch! Something to look into for sure! :)